I recently had a Skype date with an amazing couple that I get to photograph in 2016, and for some reason their session REALLY stood out to me! It boiled down to the fact that they had really awesome questions that they asked. Not only were there serious questions regarding photography, but there were really fun questions that I had never been asked before! This is when I realized that more couples should ask these fun questions because it really lays the foundation as to whether or not you and your wedding photographer are a good fit!
It’s also important to remember that these questions are important for us as photographers as well, because then we get to hear what your answers would be to the fun ones. Remember – it’s just as much a choice for to choose to work with you as it is for you to want to work with us on your special day! I know I don’t only speak for myself when I say that as wedding photographers, we want you to have the very best photographer – not only based on skills, but on personality – on your day, because you don’t deserve any less!
So, here are the questions that my couple asked me that you can use as a starting point, and don’t forget to ask some fun questions to get to know each other!
- How long have you been a photographer/wedding photographer?
- Is it possible to see a full album/gallery of a wedding you’ve shot?
- Have you shot people with a big height difference?
- What is the retainer amount and when is the balance due?
- How many weddings do you shoot in a weekend?
- What would you suggest for a timeline?
- Do you like to use must shoot lists?
- What digital rights do we get to our photos?
- How long are galleries up for?
- Do you have/carry back up gear?
- About how many photos do you take/would we see?
- What is your favorite Harry Potter book? 🙂
- Favorite beer/beverage of choice
- If you could go live in any historical time period, which would it be and why?
- Do you do engagement shots on weekends or weekdays?
- Who do you usually use as your second shooter?
With that being said, not all of these questions may be applicable – such as the Harry Potter question (we ALL shared a love for Harry Potter!) – so personalize it for you and your significant other!