I think that 2015 was a pretty epic year both personally and professionally! Last weekend I sat down with my notebook and REALLY took a hard look at what worked, what didn’t work, and what my vision for 2016 will be. It was great to determine a focus for my business this year and to start brainstorming steps to making it all happen! So, here goes!
- Our first cross-country road trip! Steven and I had an AMAZING time together driving out west and back!
- I attended an off camera flash workshop in Boston and learned a lot in two days!
- Steven and I drove down to North Carolina over my April break so that I could have a mentoring session with the incredible Amanda Hedgepeth! It was SO amazing to have met her, and she even did photos for Steven and I!
- I got to second shoot for some awesome photographers, and even working with a variety of second shooters for myself this year was so great for me!
- I worked with a graphic designer – Katie Durski of Ribbon and Ink – to create a brand for my business that truly matched ME and what I stand for! I also created a new website and look for my blog, and I LOVE it.
- Shooting weddings in a dress became the norm for me.
- Steven and I bought our first house in South Portland 🙂 Pictures to come later this week!
WHAT WORKED IN 2015
- I finally nailed down my photographic style! This is something I’ve been working toward for a while and I feel like I’ve achieved a consistent look that I am proud of and LOVE.
- My blog! I started to hear from brides and co-workers that they read my latest blog post! It was such a cool thing to hear!
- Attracting my ideal couples. I’ve started attracting the couples who are SO in love, can’t wait to get married and are just so awesome to be around! Since updating my brand, I’ve also started to attract more Harry Potter lovers 😀
- This past year I really worked hard on my wedding experience and what I wanted it to be like for my brides! I’m fine tuning it slightly this year, but it worked out really well last year and I’m proud of it!
- I read more business books!
- My camera gear is finally solid. I have all the essentials I need to have kick-ass photography and I’m stoked about that!
WHAT DIDN’T WORK IN 2015
- Submitting weddings. I had this big lofty goal of submitting all my weddings to various blogs and magazines and I just couldn’t keep up. I was also really overwhelmed and confused on how to do it sometimes so it didn’t particularly motivate me. Hopefully this is something I can work on again in 2016.
- Taking photos for ME. Just getting out there and taking photos for fun and just for me was something I really slacked on this past year!
- Backing up my blog. I always had the intention of doing it once a month, but I just didn’t do it a lot.
- Accounting day. When it was super busy I would go weeks without updating my accounting and now I have to do some backtracking now because I realized I left out some pretty crucial purchases.
- Setting office hours. I just didn’t stick to them, and I also didn’t really put them out there either.
VISION FOR 2016 (personal + business)
- Continue being unplugged. Usually when I’m home I’m not near my phone, and I want to keep that up. I think I’ve done a pretty good job of being present in whatever situation I’m in this past year!
- Continue my work with God.
- MORE beach time! Even when it’s not summer time! I live SO close and I LOVE it.
- Attend more meet-ups. I missed out on a lot of opportunities last year to meet up with other business owners and creative, and I would really like to attend more this year
- Create a full manual for my business.
- Transition to FULL time by the end of December.
- Continue to play with film.
- Blog with INTENTION.
- Set better boundaries via office hours and auto replies.
- Make better financial decisions in every area of my life.
- Get back on the business book train.
- Take more photos for ME.
- Read before bedtime 🙂
Phew! Did you make it to the end with me?! If so, what is your vision for 2016?? Share it with me in the comments below!!! I’m super excited for 2016 and what is in the works!