I’ve been a bridesmaid, and I’ve been around a LOT of bridesmaids, and I’ve picked up a few things here and there about what constitutes being a good bridesmaid.
Before the wedding:
- Start saving money! Between dresses, shoes, hair + makeup, showers, parties, and gifts, it’s important to start planning for these now so that you’re not stressed when they all seem to come up at the same time!
- Offer to help the bride with whatever she needs. Brainstorming? Checking out venues? Dress fittings? If you can make it happen, be there! Also be sure to provide a lot of moral support, because planning a wedding can be so super stressful sometimes!
- Check in with the other bridesmaids. Start the conversations early about ideas for the bridal shower and bachelorette party. Be aware of who is doing what, and be an active participant! Remember to keep the bride in mind when planning events, though, because what may be a fun time for you may not be the same for her!
On the wedding day:
- Cooperate. If you’re asked to do something, just smile and do it! 🙂 Also, speaking from a photographer’s point of view, realize that you ARE going to be in photos, so if you say something like “don’t take photos of me,” it makes things really uncomfortable and awkward to do my job!
- Be a point person for the bride! There’s no reason that she should be the one running around trying to make contact with different vendors on the day she is getting married.
- Remind the bride to pee BEFORE she gets into her dress! Otherwise, you’ll be the one holding the dress up while she pees! 😉
- Pack a little emergency kit. Essentials like bobby pins, a mini sewing kit, hair spray, deodorant, and snacks should be there!
- Fluff the dress 🙂 Be sure to help the bride with her dress throughout the day! Sometimes it needs to be held up, or fluffed, or bugs need to be picked out of it!
- Make sure the bride eats!
- Don’t forget to have fun. If you’re a bridesmaid, it’s fair to assume that the bride is a very dear friend, and don’t forget to celebrate how happy you are for her on this big day!
Linda is a Maine-based photographer specializing in weddings and creating family legacies. You can see more of her work online at lindabarryphotography.com, on Instagram, or on Facebook. If you want to reach out directly: firstname.lastname@example.org